Monday, October 16, 2006

Random Words of Kindness

“Where is he going? I want him to play on the rest of the album.”
Bob Dylan


Long before Charlie Daniels, of the Charlie Daniels Band, started his own band and went on to top both the country and rock music charts he was working part time as a back up guitarist in a Nashville recording studio.

One day Bob Dylan was in studio. Dylan’s usual back-up guitarist was late so Daniels was called to fill in.

“You’ve got to take advantage of the situation,” Daniels told me during an interview. “That’s what happened with me. I was hungry. I was the guy that most wanted to be where I was at that time. Everybody was honored to be playing with Bob Dylan, but to a lot of the guys it was just another session. To me that was the day, and I was cognizant of it.”

Dylan was so impressed with Daniels’ playing that he asked him to stay and record the rest of the album with him.

“Having Dylan believe in me did more to boost my confidence and music career early on than anything else,” Daniels told me.

How often in life do our words change the lives of others far beyond what we ever know?

The “I’m proud of you son” a mother says to her son when he brings home his test score or the “Thanks for planning this” a husband says to his wife as they leave for a vacation can mean more to that person than the highest scores or finest hotels.

Recently we were all reminded of the power of words following the tragic school shooting in Bailey, CO. Sixteen-year-old Emily Keyes left her family and the rest of us with “I love U guys”—the words she text messaged her family from inside Platte Canyon High School during her final hours of life.

In memory of Emily and with her family’s request to practice random acts of kindness, take time this month to give words of encouragement. Say them often and sincerely and you will have a bigger impact than you ever thought possible.


Upload Experience
All Rights Reserved 2006 Nasoj Publications, LLC

Jason C. Steinle is a chiropractor at Health and Harmony Chiropractic, PC in Evergreen, CO 303 670 1001, the host of The Steinle Show talk radio program, and author of Upload Experience: Quarterlife Solutions which is available at HearthFire Books and
www.uploadexperience.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home